Terms and Conditions – Beics Betws
Bike and Equipment Hire
• Beics Betws (We hereinafter) is the trading name for a business established around 1990 and located in Vicarage Road, Betws Y Coed, Conwy LL 24 0AD.Tel 01690710766. The business now operates as a partnership between Graham Tayler and Louise Jowett, both of 12 Pen Y Ffridd , Llandudno, Conwy LL30 2JS. The main remit of the business is bike and equipment hire, guided rides and bike services and repair. The business is not registered for VAT purposes.
• The trading locations are Beics Betws at Vicarage Road , Betws y Coed, Conwy LL240AD and Beics Betws@Llandudno , 110 Upper Mostyn Street, Llandudno LL30 2SW
• These Terms and Conditions (T and C) apply to bikes, trailers, pushchairs, seats, packs, bike racks, safety and repair equipment booked through Beics Betws as set out in the booking confirmation and disclaimer documents
• These T and C contain important information and should be read and acknowledged by you, (the primary hirer) and you should agree that participants, (members of your party using hired bikes and equipment) are aware of and accept these booking and hire T and C
• Variations in theseT and C shall be binding only by the agreement of Beics Betws
• Bikes and Equipment can only be hired from Beics Betws( we hereinafter ) with a completed booking sheet, signed waiver and T and C
• The signatory of the waiver and T and C for each booking must be over 18, the primary hirer (you hereafter) and payment card holder
• The signatory must sign on behalf of children under the age of 18 and have the authority of the parent or guardian of each person under the age of 18 to participant in the activity.
• The activity of mountain, trail and road biking can be dangerous and may result in death or injury, safety precautions and calculated risk should be taken at all times as set out in the T and C
ISSUE YOU WILL: WE WILL:
Bikes and Equipment- Use, condition, damage, loss and theft. Transportation. • You are responsible for checking over and ensuring the safety of bikes and equipment when in use during the hire period.
• You and participants are responsible for all cycles and equipment hired or loaned and it is your responsibility to keep these items safe from damage, theft or loss. It is your responsibility to use cycles and equipment in a proper and safe manner and not subject it to misuse or unfair wear and tear.
• You are responsible for notifying Beics Betws of any damage, losses or theft to the hired bikes or equipments however caused. You will be responsible for paying reasonable costs of repair or replacement to Beics Betws for any such damage, losses or thefts, unless damage is covered by a damage waiver agreement which can be purchased through Beics Betws. (see below)
• You are responsible for not selling, hiring or disposing of any hired bikes or equipment
• You will help us to ensure that bikes are fully functioning and well maintained by informing us of any issues or defects noted during the hire period.
• You are responsible for bikes and equipment in transit when being used away from the Beics Betws premises (unless Beics Betws is responsible for the transit). Transit in vehicles should be in vans, specialist bike racks or trailers and should not involve removal of wheels, pedals etc.
• You are responsible for ensuring the safety of bikes whilst in use. If you are planning to leave bikes for any of the hire period. Bikes should be locked and secure. Locked can be made available for this purpose on request.
• You are responsible for loss or damage caused by your own actions or the actions of a third party not connected with the provision of the bike or equipment hire
• You are responsible for ensuring that Beics Betws equipment is not used for sporting events unless by prior agreement.
• Bikes hired in Llandudno may not be transported by vehicle except by previous arrangement
• We will aim to provide high quality well maintained bikes and equipment for you to hire
• We will check each bike on issue and on return and maintain maintenance records for each bike and piece of equipment
• We will ensure that all defects noted will be dealt with prior to the next hire period, in the event of this causing delays in collection you will be compensated with extra time or fee reduction accordingly
• We will provide locks if requested to help prevent theft.
• We reserve the right to remove specific bikes and equipment from hire if they are deemed not to be functioning properly or safely, pending repair. We will endeavour is to replace the bike or equipment. If this is not possible then a full refund will be given and alterative booking dates offered.
• We are able to transfer bikes for you for a fee and by arrangement. In this instance we will be responsible for the bikes until they are handed over to you and when they have been collected
• We will not be liable to you where alleged loss or damage results from your own actions or omissions, including the actions or omissions of a third party not connected with the provision of the bike or equipment hire, an event or circumstancewhich we could not predict or have avoided even after taking all reasonable care, or where any loss or damage is considered to be indirect or consequential.
Bookings. • Bookings maybe carried out in person, over the phone, by email or on line through our website (Betws only)
• You are responsible for advising Beics Betws as soon as possible of any mistakes and errors made by yourselves or Beics Betws in the booking and payment process
• You are responsible for delays or changes to your hire period due to lack of physical fitness, injury, illness, poor navigation, traffic, weather, or other causes
• We will ensure that bookings, payments, hire and communication with customers is carried out in a timely fashion with care and accuracy
• We reserve the right not to hire bikes for the
riding of certain trails in north Wales where we consider you or/and our bikes are at risk, this includes downhill riding where specialist bikes are required
• We reserve the right. At our discretion, to request photo ID at the time of collection , these maybe be held securely until safe return of the hired items
Risk, Liability and insurance • You and other participants will accept that cycling on a public highway, off road track and trail carries its own risk and you have made the booking on the basis that you undertake the hire and activity at your own risk.
• You and participants will ride responsibly at all times. You will not hold Beics Betws responsible for any loss, damage or injury including death, personal injury, loss or damage to persons and property with regard to the cycles and equipment hired unless it was caused by a proven negligent act or omission of Beics Betws. You and participants accept responsibility to indemnify Beics Betws against any claim, interest, demand or expense in respect to such damage or injury.
• You are responsible for any damage, losses and injury caused to people or property through neglect or misuse of hired equipment.
• You will be responsible for ensuring that you and participants have suitable insurance cover if you require it during your period of hire. • We will hold public liability insurance up £5m to cover , details of this are available on request
• We accept responsibility for death personal injury and direct losses suffered by you and participants which you can demonstrate conclusively was caused by negligence , this responsibility does not extend to indirect losses
• Except in the event of death or personal injury where liability shall be unlimited, BeicsBetws liability to you will be limited to the total costs of your booking
• Beics Betws will have no liability to you if we are unable to fulfil a booking as a result of force Majeure
Health and Safety and Safeguarding • You are responsible for ensuring you and your party hiring bikes and equipment(hereafter participants) are physically fit enough to undertake the chosen activity/route.
• You accept that cycle helmets must be worn by hirers at all times when riding as advised and provided by Beics Betws.
• You will be responsible for ensuring, to the best of your knowledge that any participants not pregnant when riding on single track routes
• You will be responsible for ensuring you and participants are not under the influence of alcohol or drugs during the hire period
• You accept that bikes are configured in the Uk manner and brakes arranged as such.
• You will be responsible for ensuring that all participants under the age of 18 are accompanied by a responsible adult aged 18 or over at all times. You are also responsible for ensuring that under 14-year-old do not use Beics Betws electric bikes.
• You are responsible for ensuring that all participants including children listen attentively to the safety and guidance briefing from staff at Beics Betws
• We will We will ensure that staff responsible for children under 18 have been had the necessary DBS checks
• We will provide safety helmets, repair equipment, and bikes locks free of charge
• We will not undertake changes to the brake configuration for overseas visitors
Data Protection/Privacy • You will provide us with the necessary personal information relating to your booking
• You will advise us during the collection period if you wish this information to be used for marketing and promotional purposes • We will ensure that we are GDPR compliant
• We will advertise our privacy statement on our website
• We will make available our Data Protection policy on request
Bookings, Payment and Cancellations
• The Bike and Equipment Hire Terms and Conditions apply to all bookings and should be referred to when making a booking.
• You may receive an e mail or telephone call confirming your booking, if you do not receive confirmation and you would like to confirm please call or e mail within 36 hours of the collection date. Bookings will state the date and duration of the hire period and the cost will be calculated accordingly
• Hire periods will normally be:
Betws y Coed
o Half days, normally up to 4 hours none electric, 3.5 hours electric
o Full days – 9.30 – 4.30 (Summer) 10am to 4pm (Winter)
o Evenings 4.30 – 7.30 (certain days/months only -see website)
o Daily/Weekly, 2 or more days
o Half days, normally up to 3 hours
o Full days – 10am to 4pm
o Evenings 4.30 – 7.30 (certain days/months only -see website)
o Daily/Weekly, 2 or more days
• Beics Betws reserve the right to administer a further charge for late return. All bikes and equipment will be held for 1 hour after the agreed time of collection after which we cannot guarantee to hold the booking. If you are running late and will arrive after this time please call 01690 710766 and we will endeavour to hold the bikes for you, Failure to inform us of late arrivals may result in you losing your rental fee.
• When booking you should state the areas/trails the bikes and equipment are to be used and if the bikes and equipment are being transported to another location
• Beics Betws can deliver and collect bikes, equipment and up to 5 persons to another location within a radius of 30 miles of Betws Y Coed or Llandudno. This can only be done by with advance bookings by arrangement and will incur an additional charge to be notified at the time of booking.
• Customers wishing to extend the contracted hire period may do so by agreement. Failure to communicate with us over late return will extend the hire period without agreement will result in full days charges being levied for each extra day the hire period is extended and may result in us reporting the bikes and equipment as stolen and police will be provided with your details.
• Group bookings or 10 or more bikes/participants will only be confirmed when Beics Betws has a received a confirmation in writing/e mail regarding the details/sizes of the group
• Beics Betws maybe not honour bookings made on-line less than 24 hours before collection
• In the case of group/corporate bookings once an invoice has been raised, this will be regarded as a promise of payment and should be paid in full unless the groups cancels at least 5 days before the booking (see cancellations policy below) in which case the invoice will be cancelled
• Current prices and times will be displayed in the shop and on the website. Prices notified elsewhere may not be correct and should be checked with the website at all times. Charges include map loan, helmets and repair equipment
• Beics Betws reserves the right to change our pricing structure at any time, the new pricing structure will be displayed clearly on the website and in the shop. Bookings made in advance at previous prices will not incur extra payment or refunds.
• Beics Betws operates a discount scheme (see website) We reserve the right to apply this scheme as we see fit, request evidence for eligibility purposes and refuse discounts at our discretion. Discounts will be applied at the quotation stage (for large bookings) or on collection for individual bookings. This may result in a refund being given at the time of collection.
• Refunds will be made to the same card as the payment was made. Payments made by gift voucher will be refunded by gift voucher
• Our hire price structure makes allowance for general wear and tear as defined by the product manufacturer, this includes one spare inner tube, additional charges will not be incurred for problems arising from general wear and tear
• In normal circumstances full payment is required when making an advance booking
• Payments can be made in cash, by cheque (by post only allowing sufficient time for the cheque to clear) by debit card or credit card (on line or by telephone), or BAC’s, Paypal payments are not accepted. American Express is not accepted.
• Depending on the assessment of risk and the type of bike being hired, a credit or debit card will be required at the commencement of any hire period and a pre-authorisation may be taken from this card until such time as the bike or equipment is return in a timely manner and satisfactory condition as set out in the T and C’s, after which the pre-authorisation will be cancelled from the same payment card.
• Beics Betws will offer discounts, reductions and special offers for selected customers, multiple hire events and promotional offers. This is entirely at our own discretion and we are under no obligation to make arbitrary offers. Where discounts and offers apply payment will need to be made direct rather than through the on line payment system on the website.
• Cancellations with less than the notice period shown above will be charged at 75% of the value of the hire, we will endeavour to alter the times and dates to a mutually acceptable time and date, the rebooking must be within 12 months of the original booking
• Cancellations on the day of the event will incur full charges, again we will endeavour to change the booking as above
• Beics Betws is entitled to cancel your booking at any time. Every endeavour will be made to notify you of this in good time. You shall be entitled to a full refund in the event of cancellation but no other compensation will be payable. This refund will not apply where the cancellation is due to perceived safety, danger, or personal health and safety issues of the hirer or members of their party.
• In the event that Beics Betws is forced to cancel activities for reasons beyond our control where participation in the event has already commenced, you shall not be entitled to a refund (in part or in full) but every endeavour will be made to rebook the event at an alternative time at a reduced rate
The disclaimer is signed by all riding adults and adults’ responsible for under 18 year olds in their group.
The disclaimer reads as follows:
• I (the undersigned) wish to hire bikes from Beics Betws for the purpose of off road, single track, trail and road cycling; I understand the bikes cannot be used for competitive sport.
• I am over the age of 18 and signing for the people who are under the age of 18, (participants) I have the express permission of the parents/guardians of these children to sign on their behalf.
• Mountain, trail and road biking can be physically challenging and dangerous, I accept that there is risk of serious injury or even death in undertaking this activity
• I understand that, to the best of my knowledge, all participants including myself have no medical conditions which might make biking more dangerous or risky, are not pregnant (when riding single track) and not under the influence of drugs or alcohol
• I understand that participants and I must wear safety helmets at all times and must use bikes and equipment with care and consideration towards themselves and others
• I understand and agree that participants and I will follow instructions and guidance given by staff of Beics Betws before and whilst undertaking the activity
• I understand that I am responsible for minor repairs and adjustment to the bike whilst under hire. This includes puncture repair and changing seat height
• I agree that I am responsible for costs incurred in the repair or replacement of bikes or equipment hired by myself and damaged/stolen whilst being hired by myself however it is caused.
• I agree that, in the unlikely event of accident loss or damage to persons or personal effects Beics Betws will not be liable for any direct or indirect loss damage or injury in connection with the activity (except death or injury caused by the negligence of Beics Betws) and waive any claims against Beics Betws in this respect
• I have read and understand the terms and conditions and the above disclaimer and I take full responsibility for myself and participants under 18 (as listed) under my supervision
• I understand that bikes and equipment must be returned by the allotted time, failure to do so may incur extra charges.
Personal Safety and Cycling Code
• Be aware that trails, track, roads, pavements and paths have many other users. Be aware of walkers, dogs, other cyclists, horses, cars and debris. Keep your speed down especially at junctions and in busy areas
• Be aware that loose rock and gravel can cause skidding, exercise caution in these areas and ride with respect for the environment, minimising erosion
• Do not use designated footpaths meant for walkers only, give way to walkers at all times in forests, promenade, pavements and on tracks, do not ride on pavements except when indicated it is safe and permissible to do so
• Do not drop litter and keep water bottles secure, avoid using plastic disposable bottles where possible as these are more prone to fall out of your bottle holder or rucksack
• Keep away from forestry operations; do not proceed along closed tracks, or climb on log piles. Keep away from old mine workings.
• Wear a safety helmet at all times when riding, additional body protection is recommended on certain rides and for children
• Dress appropriately; the weather can change quickly in north Wales. Clothing may get muddy and wet. Avoid baggy clothing. Strong shoes/boots should be worn and laces tied up securely. Do not tie clothing around the waist as it may get caught in the wheels. Avoid areas of the skin being bare including arms, legs and waist. Use sun screen when sunny. Rucksacks can be loaned to carry spare clothing and sunscreen
• Carry water and a snack, the water in the streams is not always safe to drink.
• Carry a mobile phone but don’t forget the signal is not good in remote places and forests
• A damage waiver scheme is in operation. This is voluntary and covers you for damage of bikes whilst being hired.
• The damage waiver scheme is chargeable on a daily or weekly basis, for standard bikes £5 per day or £10 for multiple days. For e bikes £10 per day or £20 for multiple days
• The damage waiver scheme is operated by Beics Betws, even when the damage waiver scheme is purchased riders should continue to take care of our bikes and ride with caution
• Beics Betws reserves the right to levy charges for wilful and deliberate damage and loss of bikes where this can be demonstrated.
• One purchased Damage Waiver covers multiple hired bikes. However, in the event that more than one bike is damaged then the Damage Waiver only covers the repair costs of the bike that has the lowest cost of repair. The damage sustained to any other hired bike or equipment is not covered by the Damage Waiver and therefore full repair costs will be charged.
• Individual Damage Waivers can be purchased for each hired bike if required.