Mixed Biking Routes
The area has a great reputation for riding and attracts people worldwide for road biking long distance touring , mountain and downhill biking. By linking together quiet roads, forest and moorland tracks and purpose built cycle routes you can explore Snowdonia by bike and enjoy the spectacular scenery to the full. Some of these rides can be enhanced by taking the train one way or by arranging for us to drop you off or pick you up as part of our bike hire services.
Most of the routes listed here involve hills, up and down! By renting one of our electric bikes the up hills can become less severe and you can go further in less time!
Betws Y Coed is on the junction of the main A470 trunk road and the main A5 trunk road, both busy roads with heavy traffic, lorries and coaches. We advise that you try and avoid riding on these roads for long sections. All routes here try to avoid busy roads where possible.
When undertaking any rides you should always wear a helmet, carry repair equipment, water, snacks and sun cream. Carry a map and familiarise yourself with the surrounding area. Be aware that many areas do not have a phone signal and maybe difficult to access by vehicles in an emergency . Times given are for riders of average fitness and ability for standard (none E) bikes .
Detailed maps and descriptions for each of these rides can be provided when you hire bikes from us.
Short road/mixed routes – 5 to 12 kilometeres (all distances are approximate)
• Cafe Ride 1 – Betws Y Coed to Conwy Falls Cafe – 7 klm, 1.5 hours - Easy country roads with 1 short section of trunk road.
• Cafe ride 2 - Betws y Coed to Ty Hwll/Ugly House – 7 klm , 1.5 hours, moderate with some climbing on country roads and optional forest track.
• Cafe ride 3- Ffin Y Parc cafe and Art Gallery and Capel Garmon Burial Chamber - 10 klm-, 2 hours, moderate/ hard hilly country lanes with one short section of trunk road
• Cafe ride 4 – Trefiw to Llyn Crafnant – lake and cafe – 10 km , 2.5 hours involving train or car transfers – moderate, hilly country road and forest track around Lake
• Cafe Ride 5 - Betws to Siobod Cafe – 10 km easy 1, 5 hours - involving trunk road and country road.
• Betws station to Dolwyddelan station –8 km one way, 1.5 hours, moderate involving country road, short section of trunk road and forest track. Return by train (axtra time)
12 to 20 kilometres